Brian Moreau

Articles
    Projects
    Blog
    Contact
    Maker Portfolio

Telephone Tapping and Bugging

Following on from my article "Mobile Phone hacking and telephone tapping" this article deals exclusively with telephone tapping or bugging.

Phone tapping should refer exclusively to listening in on or recording a telephone conversation and is not telephone or voice mail hacking.

There are a number of methods of achieving this and it can be quite easily achieved if you have the necessary knowledge and equipment.

In one of the stories regarding the telephone hacking case and the News Of The World, a so called expert explained that there are only two methods of tapping or bugging a phone conversation and that was either at the telephone itself or at the exchange.

Actually there are a few other methods too.

Phone tapping or bugging at source
This is achieved by placing a bug inside the phone to be tapped.
A wireless bug transmits the conversation to a receiver where it can be listened to live or recorded.

Placing a bug inside a mobile phone would be a challenge due to its very small size and lack of internal free space but you could place the bug in a room however you would be unlikely to hear both sides of the conversation.

Very small and simple bugs can be made for under £10 and you are able to listen to the transmission on a standard FM radio.
Some well known high street electronic shops sell cheap bugging and tapping devices and a quick search online shows a whole range of assorted devices.

I have also heard about bugs that can be remotely operated and transmit an encoded transmission back down the phone line making them almost undetectable.

In order to bug or tap a phone at source you would obviously need to gain access to the phone to place the bug in it. Placing a bug inside someone’s home also poses similar challenges.
You may want to consider how loyal your friends or staff are or consider if the repair man is genuine. (Sounds like a spy movie huh)

Other listening devices
Unfortunately some home devices leave our privacy wide open to abuse, things like baby monitors and older analogue cordless phones can be picked up on a radio receiver such as a frequency scanner or even some old valve radios.
There are other devices such as dish microphones and laser bugs these are more specialised devices but again can be purchased online by anybody at not too high a cost. I’m sure professional private investigators are very aware of these and probably far more sophisticated devices.

Remote phone call bugging or tapping
As I sad above one story suggested that phone calls could be recorded or bugged at the phone exchange, this is probably not true even with expert knowledge as unless you was a BT engineer authorised to carryout work at a phone exchange it would be almost impossible to enter the building and place such a bug even if you did manage to get inside knowing where to place the bug among the vast array of computer equipment would be a challenge but again I suppose not impossible. Maybe you know a BT engineer who could do this for you.

Line interception
What I have found surprising and frankly a worry is the vast number of telephone patch panels located in streets that generally have their doors open swinging in the wind.
These could provide easy access to monitor calls.
I suspect if you donned a florescent jacket and began to look like you was working on the equipment no one would but an eyelid.
It could be possible to connect a device to a line within these panels and listen in on both sides of the conversation.
I can’t imagine a private investigator doing this but then you never know.

Telephone wires
Another way to intercept a call would be to place a bugging device actually on the telephone line where it enters your house, most telephone cables connect to a small box usually located on your wall outside your house. A transmitting bug or even making direct connection could be achieved in seconds.

What about digital?
Some of the more technical people reading this may be thinking that now most phones are digital we cannot easily decode the signals as we did when they were analogue.
Probably true but lots of people still don’t have digital telephones and I am sure some bugs are advanced enough to decode digital telephone signals as well as analogue ones.

It is probably also possible to connect a computer to someone’s telephone line and monitor their internet traffic. Certainly WiFi transmutations can be recorded and in most cases decoded to text.
An Android app exists that can do exactly that.

Overview
Most of our systems are very insecure if you have the knowledge and expertise to exploit them. These vulnerabilities leave us wide open to having our private lives spied on, our identities stolen and even terrorism.
Although of slightly different subject there are a number of conserning stories relating to technological threats.
UK infrastructure faces cyber threat.
2 million home computers hijacked in the US
US military hit in cyber strike and over 200 billion spam emails sent each day I would suggest this threat is upon us already.

I can’t help feel that the more advanced technology becomes the more vulnerable we become.

I hope this article is useful and clears up any conflictions between hacking and tapping and maybe the police and BBC will find it of benefit too when they next need to describe tapping and or hacking.

mobile phone hacking and tappingBookmark this on your Facebook profile Bookmark this on your Facebook profile.

Readers comments >

Date:  07-07-2011 17:01:30
From:  John
Location:
The BBC reported that it is no longer possible to hack mobile phone voicemail messages. Is this true?

Date:  11-07-2011 13:59:22
From:  Voice mail hackers
Location: In your ear.
We are listening to you.

Date:  13-07-2011 13:53:55
From:  Advisor
Location:
To help prevent your mobile phone voicemail being hacked or listened to by others CHANGE YOUR VOICEMAIL DEFAULT PIN O2 now make this default, not sure about other operators.

Date:  19-07-2011 03:24:17
From:  manish sahu
Location: patna
how can i tap any voice call?

Date:  30-08-2011 11:44:14
From:  alok gupta
Location: delhi
my mobile is being hack and someone is calling through my mobile when it is with me

Date:  01-01-2012 11:48:19
From:  self made
Location: ghana
i would like u to help give the simplest way of tapping a cell phone calls

Date:  05-01-2012 23:42:30
From:  kristine rockwell
Location:
That's crazy people can do that.

Date:  28-01-2012 12:11:21
From:  duke john
Location: addis ababa
how can i tap my girl friend phone call ??

Date:  29-01-2012 04:21:23
From:  damodar parihar
Location: bhilwara,rajasthan,india
i want to track a mobile voice call

Date:  30-01-2012 09:42:06
From:  Tumwesige kenneth
Location: Kampala
I want to make calls from my mobile without loading airtime, is it possible, , thanks

Date:  06-02-2012 05:19:34
From:  sarah browne
Location: ireland
someone changed my voicemail greeting{not from my mobile}is there a way to find out who did this,they left a very nasty message as my greeting

Date:  25-02-2012 08:40:42
From:  Olayemi ogunsola
Location: Lagos
Please how can i tap a call 4rm mtn to mtn line.please can you help me with the code?

Date:  02-03-2012 16:54:22
From:  James King
Location:
How stupid are you, some of you commenters. Asking openly on the internet for someone to help you hack. Grow the flip up.

Date:  11-03-2012 15:08:03
From:  kundan
Location:
My galfrnd talk to hr frnd . Bt i dnt lyk their fndshp . So can i make a cl or txt my galfrnd using his no. Connting from my phone .. By nt using his persnl phn .

Date:  15-03-2012 01:09:08
From:  Azam jadoon
Location: Sheikhupura
If u want to hack any voice call the instruction is the whole page.If u have mind?

Date:  19-03-2012 11:32:43
From:  raghavendra
Location: india
help me to hack my girlfriend number

Date:  25-03-2012 14:24:06
From:  eddie lewis
Location: mississippi
help me tap my girls phone.

Date:  30-03-2012 13:52:06
From:  Peter
Location: Abia state
How can i tap an mtn to mtn line

Date:  15-04-2012 18:12:07
From:  beckie read
Location: cullom
I was wondering if it is possible to find out who is accessing your voicemail...based on this article it seems like that is a negative.

Date:  22-04-2012 07:18:24
From:  Rohit Anna Kulaye
Location: Mumbai, India
Please how can i tap a call 4rm loop to airtel line.please can you help me with the code?

Date:  06-05-2012 18:07:52
From:  mourad zeidan
Location: lebanon
how to know the contacts and the messages of my girl friend ? If i dont have her phone by using my phone

Date:  11-05-2012 09:27:38
From:  Lucy Mclaughlin
Location: London
This is a HUGE concern - esp. there are at least 4 messages on here from men about hacking their girlfriend's voicemails...this is Stalking and an impriosable offence, not to mention is also domestic violence, abuse and harrassment. Respecy privacy - if you don't know, they don't want you to know - if this is a problem, discuss..if this is still a problem - leave don't stalk!!

Date:  21-05-2012 08:04:56
From:  Doreen
Location: ireland
Im using vodafone in the republic of ireland i now i lost my phone i want to listen my messages how can i do that?

Date:  26-05-2012 15:05:46
From:  lucky
Location:
when i saw the kardashians first hacked the voicemail and discovered that one of their boyfriends was cheating i thought that it saved the girl from more humiliation and sadness, knowing the truth, there are positives and negatives to this, plenty of people find the truth from a private detective it is not deemed stalking, people should make sure their voicemails are secure or not use it at all.

Date:  27-05-2012 06:10:48
From:  Sarah Ahmed
Location: North Brunswick
Hi..I have been experiencing a lot of problems like phone tapping with my phone. I had a problem with my ex bf tapping in to my phone...and i believe he did it through voicemail....I just want to know how I can tell if he actually did tap/hack it. I used to have a voicemail, but i dont anymore.

Date:  29-05-2012 13:03:15
From:  ben mack
Location: hartford
My girlfriend said she can hack into my cell phone regardless how many times I change my pin.how is that possible?

Date:  31-05-2012 22:04:43
From:  Angelita Fiore
Location: NY State
In one day i received 13 indicated as voice mail,different times in one day.I did not hear any ringtone and there is no telephone number and no messages even though i received 13 of them,How could i passibly identify the number /or the caller.Pls respond,Thanks

Date:  09-06-2012 19:18:00
From:  karen singh
Location: birmingham
i just simply wonna knw how to listen to someones voicemail messages pls help ke

Date:  30-06-2012 07:41:25
From:  shning
Location: srinagar
how i can see who is calling me when i received her call shespoken bullshit how i can stop her plz

Date:  04-07-2012 11:18:02
From:  hina patel
Location: birmingham
my mobile phone is being hacked can i report this to anyone the police will say contact your network provider the phone shop will look at my mobile phone and say theres nothing wrong with your phone how can i prove to them my phones being hacked how can i stop them i have a feeling my phones is being cloned the hacker has blocked my number any idea how can i stop this hacker from hacking my phone

Date:  17-08-2012 05:14:31
From:  sunanda dutta
Location: coochbehar
how can i stop this hacker from hacking my phone

Date:  11-10-2012 20:58:39
From:  Crystal Michelle
Location: North Dakota
There are a few things I would LOVE to point out. 1. As mentioned before ... Hacking, tracking, stalking and anything you need to be sneaky about is not only illegal, but wrong. If you have a good relationship there should be no reason for things like that. If it's questionable, then discuss it like adults. If there are trust issues, infidelity etc ...LEAVE!!! 2. As for a lot of the other comments, I don't know what kinds of phones everyone on here operates, but there are several call blockers and apps that will prevent people from getting into your phone. I have been working with computers for almost 20 years and currently back in college getting another degree in computer science and engineering. Take the time to research what apps (applications) might be available via GooglePlay (formally Android Market) or itunes (AT&T). There are apps that call blocker, un-identified callers etc can prevent people from calling. Keep in mind though, someone like myself can also call you from our computer. Numerous applications are coming out and although they seem cool. Remember the following: "PRIVACY IS A MUST!" IF YOU WOULDN'T WANT SOMEONE TO DO IT TO YOU, THEN DON'T DO IT TO THEM. You never know, it might be me getting into your things next time, only I have the cops with me on my side and take you into prison!

Date:  10-09-2012 01:18:58
From:  Emmanuel Bidal Nicola
Location: kampala
Nice

Date:  04-12-2012 09:48:38
From:  jenny evans
Location: ireland
is it true that if i wanted copy of text messages of a mobile i can write to a place in england who can send me this information for a fee, do not do it in ireland

Date:  20-12-2012 06:42:04
From:  Anna Potrykus
Location: presently Ramsgate Kent UK
My phone is both tapped and voicemails hacked by neighbours and probl the police.....I'm on their training programme...vodaphone told me as did police that not poss to hack digital phones...I asked them if they ever read the papers...and also if they pay their taxes....police displayed knowledge of my private conversation with vodaphone without me giving them that info...suggests collusion ....also get other people 's messages on my ansaphone....how do I block?..ps vodaphone also said they pay thir taxes....could someone be lying here?

Date:  09-01-2013 07:43:50
From:  mifinthemix
Location: surburbia
orange 3333? 555 o2( or old bt cellnet)

Date:  12-02-2013 14:24:24
From:  Prince
Location: Delta state
I want to listen to my gf discusion wit al her friends.

Date:  05-02-2013 04:58:20
From:  Ganesh patil
Location: Belgaum
How i know about my girlfriends moble phones call history with tracking device

Date:  01-04-2013 04:54:41
From:  inderjit singh
Location: Delhi
Dude can u please help me regarding my girlfriend she using her mom mobile bt I doubt her so please tell me...is their any wayI hack mobile or I know about her messages please bro help me for dis...:-(

Date:  04-04-2013 21:06:19
From:  hollie bash
Location: Choctaw
Forgot voicemail password

Date:  04-05-2013 04:13:59
From:  Koushik Mondal
Location: West Bengal
I have my girlfriend's mobile number and I want to track her all call and message details. How can I do so??

Date:  21-07-2013 10:55:33
From:  Hemant
Location:
Hi, Is it possible to download the software in my mobile phone instead of the hackers, as I won't be able to take their phone. How many number can I hack at the same time? Will I be able to hear live conversation, read all the msgs(sms,,imsgs, whtsapp), retrieve videos and photos stored in mobile, and locate location by GPS. Will this be kept confidential from the hacker. Kindly let me know. Many thanks.

Date:  12-05-2013 10:47:44
From:  chosen
Location: onitsha
how can i hack a nokia phone and a simcard pls.

Date:  03-07-2013 08:29:19
From:  Mthunzie
Location: Johannesburg
I want to share all my gf phone calls

Date:  16-08-2013 10:26:25
From:  jenna yuki
Location: Antwerpen
I need help...The ex-girlfriend of my boyfriend knows i have been with boyfriend, what we did or talked about and more irritating is that i stalked her using my mobile number. How does she get all this details....my life is hell. Help!!!

Date:  04-08-2013 03:58:16
From:  Christina Jacobs
Location: Los Alamitos
How can I track my boyfriends call history along with being able to read all msgs, retrieve videos and photos stored in mobile and can I locate his location by GPS? Also, is it possible to listen in on live conversations? Hope you can help. Thank you.

Date:  13-09-2013 10:16:36
From:  prasanth
Location: coimbatore
help me to hack my girlfriend number

Date:  29-01-2014 06:17:40
From:  tsepo khalaki
Location: johannesburg
eish i shold lyk u to help to gve me da code of nokia so dat i can hack my girlfrnd cellphne calls and maessages

Date:  06-02-2014 11:44:10
From:  Brian
Location: London
Please DO NOT send request to hack your partners mobile phone. I DO NOT hack phones or any other device. If you do not trust your partner leave them! It is an offense to hack or conspire to hack!

Date:  27-05-2015 19:33:55
From:  vicke
Location: usa
This site has been very helpful i think my phone has been hacked thank you so much